Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Speaking of shades, and in no way related, I play in a folk/bluegrass band called Shades Mountain Air. We've been at it for about 12 years now. I play banjo, big surprise. Not a blue one, though.

The five of us (now four due to a law enforcement career that has taken off) lived on, or in shadow of, Shades Mountain. The suburban Birmingham, AL hillside was once called "Shades of Hell" and I just don't know what that means, unless some trader or early hillbilly had a really strange sense of humor. Or maybe it's biblical. Like I said, I just don't know.

We played a May 14 gig down in Elba, AL. It was a very fine time. Go by the Just Folk Coffeehouse sometime when you're down there (it's near Dothan).

2 comments:

  1. Greg, I still have to see you guys sometime. By coincidence I have great friends in Centre, AL that have their own Country/Bluegrass/Folk/Soft Rock band (Ronnie & Friends)that are starting to play more around that area. Turns out there are lots of places to play up there and I would love to hook you up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to stop by the JUST FOLK COFFEHOUSE. And I always love listening to SHADES MOUNTAIN AIR.

    ReplyDelete